nc efi placeholder

Tips for Preparing Your Workers’ Compensation Claim

Real Estate

Workers’ Compensation companies are insurance companies whose primary goal is making a profit, and if you are injured on the job, you may have difficulty getting the financial assistance you need. Therefore, before you contact an Iowa workers compensation attorney, you should prepare the best claim to receive the financial support you need and deserve.


When you get hurt, notify your employer immediately. Do not wait. The moment you have the ability to report your injury, you need to speak with human resources, even if you may lose your job, and file the paperwork. Your prompt reporting assures the insurance company that your claim is valid.

Workers' Compensation Claim

Medical Care

Seek medical treatment immediately. Your injury could be much worse than it appears or the insurance company may determine that because you didn’t seek treatment immediately that your injury was not work-related, and they may deny your claim.

Consult your state and insurance company’s policy on working with a company physician. Many insurance companies require that you see and stick with one of their approved doctors for a specific period of time. However, these doctors work for the insurance company and maybe encouraged not to give you the tests and treatments you need to reduce the insurance company’s costs. If this time has passed and you choose to change doctors, notify the insurance company immediately.

Keep detailed records of the injury and any medical testing and treatments you receive as a result.


Your claim should be filed immediately. Filing your claim includes paperwork that will be submitted to the insurance company. This is not the same as notifying HR of an injury. Make sure your form is completed and accurate and ask for help if you have difficulty filling out the form. Make sure you send your forms in before your claim filing deadline, which varies by state.

Understand your responsibilities if you get hurt at work. Learn about your state’s laws and contact an attorney if your claim is denied.